Sunday, July 05, 2015

Run, Rabbit

Okay, I give in. I seem to have acquired another earworm song. I was listening to some music while I was decluttering the kitchen contents before putting stuff away- six cartons already filled and more to come - when this came on and now it won't go out of my head. It's Run, Rabbit, Run performed by Flanagan and Allen and was very popular during WW II. Catchy, isn't it.

It brought back memories of watching Dad's Army, the much loved BBC television sit-com about a Second World War Home Guard platoon - consisting in this case of willing if not always able volunteers - who are tasked with defending the town of Walmington-on-sea in the event of a German invasion. Dad's Army ran from 1968-1977 and left indelible memories of certain catch phrases - elderly Corporal Jones's "Don't panic! Don't panic!" as he rushed around in complete confusion being a favourite with my family to the present day.

Did that help dislodge Run, Rabbit, Run? Thought not. Sorry.

2 comments:

Jo said...

My favourite was "they don't like it up 'em". I loved that show. I don't think it made it to North America.

Helen V. said...

It was a great show. A nice combination of slapstick and more subtle humour.