Monday, August 27, 2007

And the new novel...

Is gone. I still like the idea but I couldn't get excited about it. That's the bad news.
The good news is that I have had a character wandering around in my head for weeks and she seems to be growing every day. Last week she set off on a vision quest with no help from my conscious mind and wouldn't you just guess, it's all ending in tears. The story is obviously much bigger than a short story so now I think it might be, "Welcome to the new new novel." We shall see.
By the way she's a much more interesting character than the main character in the previous novel attempt. Maybe that's why she's grabbed my attention so firmly. I'm looking forward to following her adventures.

3 comments:

Satima Flavell said...

Gee, Helen, was that your unicorn one or a more recent one still? Perhaps you'll get re-enthused at a later date. Meantime, good luck with the new character! Maybe she will turn out to be The One:-)

Helen V. said...

Hi Satima. No, the unicorn novel has The End firmly written on it and I'm about to give it a final once over before I send it out. After letting it sit for a while I decided I need to cut a few thousand words and rewrite one chapter. The abandoned one I started a couple of months ago but for some reason I just couldn't get into it.

Satima Flavell said...

Yeah, it happens, but it's all grist for the mill, eh?