Monday, June 04, 2007

Winter Long Weekend

It has been perfect weather for a long weekend. Although we desperately need rain I'm one of those people who get dragged into the Slough of Despond by too many days of grey skies so a few sunny days with the chance to be outside for a while lifts my spirits. Then there's the joy of sun dried washing with its fresh, clean scent.

Pisces also has a day off work today (unusual because he usually works long weekends) and we've been out in the garden. We've had very little time for the past couple of months to spend any time together so it has been a real pleasure.

I'm actually feeling quite inspired. Yesterday a friend had lunch for a group of fellow writers. Lots of discussion of favourite books and authors, writing techniques and all the other things dear to writers' hearts. We sat in her beautiful garden until the evening chill forced us to leave. Many years ago I used to teach at the secondary school in this area but I had forgotten how aptly named Mount Pleasant is. Then I drove home along the broad waters of the Canning and Swan Rivers where they intersect near the middle of Perth. For the first time in weeks I feel that if I sit down and write I'll achieve something. About time too.

4 comments:

Satima Flavell said...

I'm so pleased you're feeling inspired and getting back to writing, Helen. Like you, I find contact with fellow writers an essential foil for the agonising times when one feels so terribly isolated and starts going around in circles of self doubt. It was super to see you the other day and I hope we'll get together again soon.

Laura E. Goodin said...

It's kind of nice to feel the momentum building again, isn't it? Best wishes for the work!

Helen V. said...

Thanks, Laura. Now if only I can clear the back-log...

Carol Ryles said...

Glad you enjoyed the lunch. It was great getting together. Must do it again before year ends,